I’ve never been a supplement kind of guy, opting instead to get my nutrition via a balanced diet, from the food I eat – but even I know that they’re not called “daily vitamins” for nothin’!
It’s because for maximum effectiveness they should be consumed daily. And that’s exactly how it is with the Bible, too!
For maximum effectiveness, it should be consumed every single day.
Why? Because the “default setting” for fallen flesh is sinfulness. Those who haven’t yet been redeemed and come to a saving knowledge of Christ are “dead” spiritually…
- “And you were dead in your trespasses and sins” (Ephesians 2:1)
… but even for believers it’s like going up the down escalator: our not-yet-transformed flesh is constantly trying to “pull down” our new inner man, our spirit, and even the greatest Christian of all time in my opinion, the Apostle Paul, struggled with and often lost the battle even though the war was won years before thanks to a certain occupied cross and empty tomb.
- “For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the wishing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. For the good that I wish, I do not do; but I practice the very evil that I do not wish.” (Romans 7:18-19)
And make no mistake about it, it is indeed an all-out war.
- “For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to [at enmity with] one another, so that you may not do the things that you please. [Which harkens back perfectly to the just-cited Romans 7:18-19]” (Galatians 5:17)
A war which has indeed been won, yes, but – as discussed in-depth in a prior post – the Bible is crystal clear that what separates true believers (which Jesus famously referred to as “wheat”) and false ones (“chaff”) is whether a person practices righteousness or sin, so seems like a good idea to fight the battles versus “resting on one’s laurels” because it’s that consistent over-time demonstrated goodness which grants us much confidence in our salvation, that it’s genuine, which produces a strong sense of eternal security within.
So if we want to conquer the constant down-direction-by-default escalator called life, it’s a good idea to take one’s spiritual vitamins DAILY, too, for maximum effectiveness. And those are, of course, the 31,102 verses in the Bible. The “my words” of Proverbs 4:20, of which it’s revealed and confirmed just two verses later (also discussed in-depth in a prior post):
- “they are life to those who find them, and health to all their whole body.” (Proverbs 4:22)
And while it’s healthy and good to read it, it’s even better to study it… and best of all to memorize, to truly ingest it, to get it within you so it can stick around for a long, long time.
- “Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you” (Colossians 3:16) (note that it doesn’t say “dwell” but “RICHLY dwell”… and not in a vacuum or cupboard or drawer but “WITHIN you”)
Because that’s what’s most conducive for steady meditation. And as I often say, in a tweak of the well-known Reader’s Digest section, meditation is the best medication.
- “This book of the law [i.e., the Bible] shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success.” (Joshua 1:8)
Indeed, Bible memory is the epitome of preventative medicine.
- “Thy word have I hidden in my heart, so that I may not sin against Thee.” (Psalm 119:11)
(Infinitely better than “an apple” but at least they got it right in the second half of that famous adage!)
Our great “daily vitamin”! Our perfect “pill”! May we not fail to take it.
- “O how I love Thy law! It is my meditation all the day.” (Psalm 119:97)
Amen to that!
Indeed, this is the whole purpose of BibleMemory.ORG – to “practice what I preach” and memorize the entire Bible… and then to Educate, Encourage, and Empower others to do likewise! If YOU would like to help make that happen, to (literally) MAKE HISTORY together, simply click on the Donate button at the top of the Side Panel on the right and keep me and this history-making undertaking in your regular prayers – I’ll definitely be needing them!